UPDATED: March 23, 2020
Dear Executive Directors, Nursing Home Administrators, and Directors of Nursing
PharMerica wants to assure you that your facilities and communities will experience minimal disruption and we will continue to provide best-in-class services as daily updates occur surrounding the COVID-19 virus. PharMerica continues to actively monitor developments regarding COVID-19 and is taking every precaution available to ensure continued service delivery and operation to meet your changing needs during this crisis. Among the steps we have taken to minimize disruption are:
Monitoring Our Inventory and Supply Chain to Ensure a Steady Supply:
- We are in constant contact with our pharmaceutical suppliers to ensure we have adequate supplies and a three-to-six-month supply of medications.
- We will continue restocking facility E-kits (emergency supplies) in the coming days as well as monitor usage of RxNow machines and restock them accordingly.
- We urge you to review your Controlled Substance Orders for any running low so we can proactively reach out to physicians to ensure no disruptions in your medication needs.
- Since the majority of “Refill Too Soon” thresholds have been eliminated by insurance carriers, we suggest you re-order all maintenance medications in 30-day supplies for your all residents.
Maintaining Operating Hours:
- All of our pharmacies currently remain open for business during regularly scheduled hours. In addition, we offer 24/7/365 support by phone as well as online assistance through web-based tools like ViewMasteRx for medication order and delivery management.
Ensuring Safety with Delivery and Visitor Protocols:
- Our couriers have been instructed to adhere to visitor policies established by facilities.
- We have also instituted our own precautions for delivery personnel, including the use of paper manifests rather than electronic to reduce contamination with frequently-touched objects.
- If your facility has a confirmed case of COVID-19, please make the pharmacy aware so couriers can take additional steps to ensure their safety during medication deliveries.
Ongoing Employee Safety Precautions:
- We are following the recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for employee, visitor and courier personnel screenings for symptoms ofCOVID-19 as well as other guidance to prevent the transmission and spread of the virus.
- We have communicated with our clients, partners and staff about the importance of handwashing and are promoting the frequent use of hand sanitizer and handwashing throughout our pharmacies and delivery vehicles.
- We encourage our staff and partners to stay home if they are not feeling well.
- We have educated our staff about the importance of “social distancing” and are discouraging handshakes and other direct person-to-person contact.
- We are temporarily keeping staff-to-client meetings at a minimum and communicating through alternative channels such as telephone, e-mail or fax to ensure a safer environment.
Commitment to Business Continuity:
- PharMerica’s sister facilities will serve as immediate back up to continue service. All of our 100+ pharmacies are on the same platform and, therefore, service to any PharMerica customer can rapidly be moved to a new location in the event that is warranted.
- We have established a committee governance structure to be able to respond to COVID-19 with agility to meet both the rapid pace of information being disseminated and the concerns you may have about COVID-19.
With the situation continually evolving, there is a tremendous need for timely information, education and resources. We have published links to several sources of information below. We are working closely with Centers for Disease Control (CDC), CMS and other state and local health officials to respond accordingly to COVID-19 and uphold our commitment to the health and welfare of the patients and residents we serve. We encourage our residents, families and employees to follow the guidelines that are continuously communicated.
We will continue to stay abreast of the situation as it unfolds and make any modifications necessary to our protocols to protect the health and well-being of those we serve. If you have any questions, please contact your local pharmacy director.
T.J. Griffin, RPh., Chief Pharmacy Officer
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for HCPs
- CDC Preparedness Checklist
- CDC Guidance to prevent spread in LTC
- CDC Interim Guidance for Healthcare Facilities
Long-Term-Care Industry Leaders
- Argentum – Expanding Senior Living
- American Health Care Association (AHCA)
- AMDA Guidance for LTC
- ASCP Disaster Resources Page
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services